Beginning the week of March 23, we have delivered one Online History Adventure per week for members and friends. The first presentation was “A Romp Into Gold Rush History” presented by Thom Jackson, followed by the first SFHS Movie Night. These presentations, free to our members and those on our mailing list, are intended to let history enthusiasts continue to explore San Francisco history in fun, creative ways despite COVID-19 restrictions. Our offerings fall into these categories:
- Armchair History Adventures: Online presentations led by local historians and mobile history apps developed by Gloria Lenhart
- SFHS Movie Nights: Short films about San Francisco and interviews with SFHS founder Charles Fracchia
- From the SFHS Archives: Special themed editions of The Argonaut and Panorama
- Online SF Trivia Nights hosted by The Big Quiz Thing: Our first Trivia Night on May 15 hosted 23 teams. The second Trivia Night is scheduled for June 26.
You can access all of our presentations here.
On May 26 we launched History As It Happens, a place for the people of San Francisco to record their experiences of COVI-19.
We hope you enjoy the SFHS Online History Adventures. Please share them widely. We will all get through this together!
The Argonaut Jan/Feb 2019 – Cover
The Argonaut is the flagship publication of the San Francisco Historical Society. It began publication in 1990, with one issue per year. In 1994, The Argonaut expanded to two issues per year.
The publication has been enthusiastically praised by SFHS members for its design and for its well written, illustrated articles covering a wide diversity of topics dealing with San Francisco history. That feeling was echoed by the American Association of Museums, who awarded The Argonaut an honorable mention for design in 2009.
Articles for The Argonaut are written both by amateur historians with expertise on a subject and by professional historians writing on areas that they have extensively researched.
Many back issues of The Argonaut are still available for purchase. The cost is $10 each (plus postage and handling and sales tax, if applicable). Regrettably, we’re unable to offer electronic versions of previous issues due to copyright issues. We are currently revamping our online store to include the available issues, but the process is not yet complete. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 537-1105, extension 2 to check on availability.
Click here to download a complete list of Argonaut articles by issue.
* NOW AVAILABLE: Digitized Versions of The Argonaut!