The Fracchia Prize – 2020
Sponsored by San Francisco Recreation and Park Department and San Francisco City Guides
Submissions are now in for the 2020 Fracchia Prize writing competition—“One Perfect Day in Golden Gate Park.” But the jury is still out.
We plan to announce the winning entries soon.
Due to school closures, we extended the due date to July 15. The contest is open to any student attending a high school in San Francisco. SFHS will award cash prizes of $2500, $1500, and $1000 to the top three entries. Mayor London L. Breed has agreed to host the award ceremony at City Hall on September 22.
Interested candidates are required to submit an original written work between 1,200 and 1,600 words, based on One Perfect Day in Golden Gate Park. Students will write a walking tour for a section of Golden Gate Park. Instructions for submission are located above and on the Fracchia Prize 2020 Entry Form (pdf).
Virtual Resources are now available for planning.
- The SFHS is working with another San Francisco nonprofit, City Guides, to offer resources to support students who are creating walking tours of Golden Gate Park. City Guides has provided two presentations on how to create a great walking tour, available here and here.
- A sample Walking Tour as a writing model and an annotated map of the park are available to help plan and write the tour.
- Explore Golden Gate Park virtually by visiting the San Francisco Recreation and Parks’ 150th birthday website.
The deadline for submissions is July 15, 2020. Please submit entries by email to email@example.com.
For further information, call 415-537-1105 ext. 1.
2019 Fracchia Prize: The Winning Essays (click image to download PDF, 23MB)
- First Place: Art Activism: San Francisco’s History of Counterculture and Its Impact on the Mission District by Sofia H.G.
Published in: Vol. 30 No. 1 issue (Summer 2019) of The Argonaut
- Second Place: Living on the Edge by Allison D.
Published in: 3rd quarter 2019 issue of Panorama
- Third Place: Mission Bay by Yanzhu G.
Published in: 4th quarter 2019 issue of Panorama